Vision is not an inner capacity, but it develops during years; perfect vision is gradually acquired, with the body development and it will be completed before scholar needing.
Two third of information that the brain uses are of vision nature; it is important that the kid has good vision abilities in order to be efficient in homework (reading, writing, calculating), in social life and sport activities.
Vision exam is often required if vision problems are suspected; more commons requests are:
Scholastic: teachers often refer about a strange vision behavior of the kid during lessons (he squints, he stays too much close to the paper, he has a strange posture of head and body, he reads and writes slowly or wrong, he asks to stay close to the blackboard);
Familiar: sometimes parents recognize strange vision behaviors while the kid is doing homework. They can also notice that the kid stays too much close to TV and computer, he refuses to read, and he says he has headache or eye pain.
At the Santona Optic Centre we do specific exams for children, checking during the years the correct development of their vision system. Growing up, the child’s vision changes and needs to be checked about vision acuity, stability in the binocular vision, chromatic sensitivity, precision in eye movements and other vision abilities that he needs for a good vision at school. At the Santona Optic Centre we check vision abilities and teach to the kid how to use his own eyes with TV, computer, at school and reading books. We also propose perfect solutions to correct vision issues, with glasses or contact lenses. For further information about contact lenses application in kids and teenagers, it is possible to check the site at the voice Contact lenses and children in the Contactology section.
Vision prevention during childhood
There are some rules that, if followed, allow preventing different vision problems in the kid. It is parents and teachers duty to verify that he really follows them at home, at school and doing sport.
Rules to respect at home:
- Keep a correct distance from the TV
- Study and do homework with book and notebook on the table, with a correct inclination
- Light on the work paper (natural or artificial light) avoiding annoying reflexes
Rules to respect at school
- Sit with a correct posture of back and head
- Take the pen some centimeters over the point, without hiding what he is writing
Rules to respect during sport activities:
- Wear contact lenses if the sport requests, to avoid shots that, wearing glasses can be dangerous (soccer balls, falls, collisions);
- Wear prescription goggles while swimming.
- Always protect the eyes by the sun, wearing glasses with certified prescription lenses;
- Periodically check your own vision condition;
- In case of specific issues in scholar apprenticeship, check the integrity and efficiency of vision abilities for reading and writing.
At the Santona Optic Centre we do proper vision exams for kids, during which we give precise preventive indications for parents, teachers and the kid himself. We explain, for example, rules to respect for vision prevention in childhood, that are described at the voice Posture and proximal commitment in the Posture and Vision section.